Q. I have been diagnosed in the past with schizoaffective disorder, but two different doctors since 9 years ago gave me lithium with no stated diagnosis. They would just say that they were not sure exactly and did not wish to label me. I only received a diagnosis from a specialist in anxiety disorders who told me I had generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and social anxiety disorder. I currently take lithium and prozac.

Can severe social anxiety be mistaken for schizoaffective disorder? Also, is it possible for me to get copies of my diagnosis from the last psychiatrist who would not tell me diagnosis? I don't really understand why two doctors treating me with lithium would refuse to give me a diagnosis.

  A. I cannot tell what you have based on your note. I would guess it is more than schizoaffective since you have so many anxiety problems. If you are feeling better, continue your current treatment and ask your doctor what is going on. He or she should be able to give you an answer. As far as your old records, you should be able to get them. If not, your insurance company will have the diagnosis for which you were treated.