bipolar disorder, Dr. Paul Markovitz  Q. If a child is diagnosed as ADHD and as Bi-Polar, is there a different treatment plan as far as meds and/or therapy is involved as compared to if a child is just ADHD OR just Bi-Polar?

If so, what can the effects be if only ADHD is being treated and only meds are being used?

Who would better trained in this type of situation to test for, diagnose and treat ADHD. A psychologist with a psychiatric consult or an MD?

  A. Bipolar trumps ADD in the scheme of things, so it needs to be treated first. A psychiatrist is in the best position to diagnose and treat this. A therapist with a psychiatric consult is only appropriate if you have no other choice.