bipolar disorder, Dr. Paul Markovitz  Q. My 7 year old son is verbalizing suicidal thoughts, besides psychotherapy do you think in general an antidepressant should be used or a mood stabilizer. I feel I need to give a lot of input into this decision because my sons doctor is a new one and she does not feel he has bipolar. However, I think she is open minded,. I am very scared of putting him on a medication that is going to make him worse. She has already tried Dextrostat, which made his behaviors worse and Inderal which did nothing. In the past we have tried Paxil and Prozac which did not help. I would appreciate any input you could give me.

  A. I personally believe suicidal thoughts need to be treated aggressively with antidepressants. If the child has anxiety I use Effexor XR if they are obsessive and Serzone if they are not. If there is no anxiety, Wellbutrin is a good choice, too. Talk it over with your doctor and see what she has to say.