| Free Medications
SHEENAN Test for Anxiety
Scoring: Assign a value of 0 to 4 to each question. At the end. score the total test.
1. Difficulty in getting your breath, smothering, or over breathing.
2. Choking sensation or a lump in the throat
3. Skipping, racing, or pounding of your heart
4. Chest Pain, pressure, or discomfort
5. Bouts of excessive sweating
6. Faintness, light-headedness, or dizzy spells
7. Sensation of rubbery or "jelly" legs
8. Feeling off balance or unsteady like you might fall
9. Nausea or stomach problems
10. Feeling that things around you are strange, unreal, foggy, or detached from you
11. Feeling outside or detached from part or all of your body, or a floating freely
12. Tingling or numbness in parts of your body
13. Hot flashes or cold chills
14. Shaking or trembling
15. Having a fear that you are dying or that something terrible is about to happen
16. Feeling you are loosing control or going insane
17. Sudden anxiety attacks with three or more of the symptoms listed above that occur when you are in or are about to go into a situation that is likely, from your experience, to bring on an attack
18. Sudden unexpected anxiety attacks with three or more symptoms listed above that occur with little or no provocation (i.e. when you are NOT in a situation that is likely, from your experience to bring on an attack)
19. Sudden unexpected spells with only one or two symptoms (listed above) that occur with little or no provocation (i.e. when you are NOT in a situation that is likely , from your experience, to bring on an attack)
20. Anxiety episodes that build up as you anticipate doing something that is likely, from your experience, to bring on anxiety that is more intense than most people experience in such situations
21. Avoiding situations because they frighten you
22. Being dependent on others
23. Tension and inability to relax
24. Anxiety, nervousness, restlessness
25. Spells of increased sensitivity to sound, light, or touch
26. Attacks of diarrhea
27. Worrying about your health too much
28. Feeling tired, weak, and exhausted easily
29. Headaches or pains in the neck or head
30. Difficulty in falling asleep
31. Waking in the middle of the night, or restless sleep
32. Unexpected waves of depression occurring with little or no provocation
33. Emotions and moods going up and down a lot in response to changes around you.
34. Recurrent and persistent ideas, thoughts, impulses, or images that are intrusive, unwanted, senseless, or repugnant 35. Having to repeat the same action in a ritual, e.g., checking, washing, counting repeatedly, when it's not really necessary
Scores above 30 are usually considered abnormal, and scores above 80 are
noted as severe. The mean score in panic disorder and agoraphobia is 57 + or -
20. The goal of treatment is to bring the score below 20.
Copyright © Patty Fleener, M.S.W. All rights reserved.